1666 1667 1668 - 1669 - 1670 1671 1672
1630s 1640s 1650s - 1660s - 1670s 1680s 1690s
Events of 1669
- March 11 – Mount Etna erupts, destroying the town of Nicolosi and killing 20,000 people.
- June 22 – Roux de Marsilly, accused of plotting the assassination of King Louis XIV of France, is publicly tortured in Paris.
- June 25 – Francis of Vendome, Duke of Beaufort, disappears during a battle in the Siege of Candia in Crete.
- July – The Hanseatic League, after 400 years of operation, holds its last official meeting in Lübeck.
- September 6 – Francesco Morosini, capitano generale of the Venetian forces in the Siege of Candia, surrenders to the Ottomans.
- September 23 – Leopold I Habsburg grants the status and privileges of a university to the Jesuit Academy in Zagreb, the precursor to the modern University of Zagreb.
- Alejandro Pedro Tesero III invents the pinata.
- Okaya & Co., Ltd., is founded in Nagoya, Japan.
- The Mogul Emperor Aurangzeb destroys several Hindu temples and bans the whole religion, so Hindus rebel.
- Antonio Stradivari makes his first violin.
- Famine in Bengal kills 3 million people.
- Phosphorus is discovered by Hennig Brand.
- The Chinese herbal medicine company Tongrentang, or 同仁堂 in Chinese, is established.
- Turkish units burn the eastern part of Kolárovo.
- Chinese Kangxi Emperor allows coastal residents deported in 1662 to return home.
- Jan Swammerdam publishes his Algemeene Verhandeling van de bloedeloose dierkens, a groundbreaking work in microscopy as well as entomology