1665 1666 1667 - 1668 - 1669 1670 1671
1630s 1640s 1650s - 1660s - 1670s 1680s 1690s
Events of 1668
- January – The Triple Alliance of 1668 is formed between England, Sweden and the United Provinces.
- February 13 – In Lisbon, a peace treaty is established between Afonso VI of Portugal and Carlos II of Spain, by mediation of Charles II of England, where the legitimacy of the Portuguese monarch is recognized. Portugal yields Ceuta to Spain.
- May 2 – The first Treaty of Aix-la-Chapelle ends the War of Devolution.
- Mid-July – Henry Morgan sacks Portobello, taking a lot of treasure.
- Mid-July – Henry Morgan sacks Panama City, but very little money is seized and the city is burned.
- Bishop Isaac Barrow founds the Bishop Barrow Trust to establish a university on the Isle of Man (King William's College).
- Molière's comedy, L'Avare, is first performed.
- The British East India Company takes over Bombay.
- The first National Bank in Europe (the Riksbank) is founded in Stockholm, Sweden.
- Emperor Yohannes I of Ethiopia convenes a church council in Gondar, which decides to expel all Roman Catholics in Ethiopia.
- Isaac Newton builds the first Reflecting telescope