1664 1665 1666 - 1667 - 1668 1669 1670
1630s 1640s 1650s - 1660s - 1670s 1680s 1690s
Events of 1667
- January 20 – Russo-Polish War (1654–1667): Poland cedes Kiev, Smolensk, and eastern Ukraine to Russia in the Treaty of Andrusovo, which puts a final end to Poland's status as a Central European power.
- February – The first theatre in Scandinavia, opens in Lejonkulan and Bollhuset in Stockholm, Sweden.
- March 27 – In North America (Canada), explorer René Robert Cavelier, Sieur de La Salle is released from the Society of Jesus (Jesuits).
- April 6 – 1667 Dubrovnik earthquake: Earthquake in Republic of Ragusa which kills one fifth of the population.
- April 27 – The blind, impoverished John Milton sells the copyright of Paradise Lost for £10.
- May 24 – The War of Devolution begins; France invades Flanders and Franche-Comté.
- June 12–17 – Raid on the Medway: A Dutch fleet under Admiral Michiel de Ruyter burns Sheerness, sails up the River Medway, raids Chatham dockyards and tows away the royal flagship The Royal Charles.
- June 15 – The first human blood transfusion is administered by Dr. Jean-Baptiste Denys. He transfuses the blood of a sheep to a 15-year old boy (though this operation is a success, a later patient dies from the procedure and Denys is accused of murder).
- June 20
- June 26 – Louis XIV of France conquers Tournai.
- July 31 – Second Anglo-Dutch War – The Treaty of Breda ends the war, and recognizes Acadia as a French possession.
- October 18
- November 25 – A devastating earthquake rocks Caucasia, killing 80,000 people.
- The Mogul Emperor Aurangzeb buys off the bandit Shivaji by making him a Rajah and allowing him to collect taxes.
- Robert Hooke demonstrates that the alteration of the blood in the lungs is essential for respiration.
- Louis XIV of France abolishes the Livre Parisis (Paris Pound) in favor of the much more widely used Livre Tournois (Tours Pound). He also designates Gabriel Nicolas de la Reynie as the first chief of "police" of Paris.
- The French army uses grenadiers.
- The first military campaign of Stenka Razin is conducted in Russia.
- Isaac Newton has investigated and written his works in subjects of optics, acoustics, the infinitesimal calculus, mechanism and thermodynamics. The researches themselves have been published only years later.