1645 1646 1647 - 1648 - 1649 1650 1651
1610s 1620s 1630s - 1640s - 1650s 1660s 1670s
Events of 1648
- January 17 – England's Long Parliament passes the Vote of No Addresses, breaking off negotiations with King Charles I and thereby setting the scene for the second phase of the English Civil War.
- January 30 – The Dutch and the Spanish sign the Treaty of Munster, ending the Eighty Years' War. The Spanish Empire recognizes the Dutch Republic of United Netherlands as a sovereign state, (governed by the House of Orange-Nassau and the Estates General) which was before a province of the Spanish Empire.
- January – The beginning of the Khmelnytsky Uprising in Ukraine then in the Republic of Both Nations (Polish-Lithuanian Commonwealth), which continues until 1654, and results, among other things, in the massacre of a number of Jews; some estimates are as high as 100,000.
- April 19 – The Portuguese army defeats the Dutch army in the north of Brazil.
- October 24 – The Treaty of Westphalia ends the Thirty Years' War.
- November 11 – France and the Netherlands agree that Mto divide the island of Sint Maarten/Saint Martin.
- December 11 – Pride's Purge occurs in England, with elements of the New Model Army, under the leadership of Henry Ireton invading London and expelling a majority of the Long Parliament, resulting in the creation of the Rump Parliament.
- August – The Arabs besieged Muscat, Oman
- October 31 A treaty was signed between the Arabs and the Portuguese. The terms were as follows: the Portuguese should build the fortress of Kuriyat, Dibba Al-Hisn (UAE), and Matrah (Oman).
- Battle of Stirling (1648) took place.
- Mehmed IV (1648–1687) succeeds Ibrahim I (1640–1648) as Ottoman Emperor.
- Admiral Robert Blake defeats Prince Rupert and the remnants of the Royalist navy in the English Civil War.
- In India, building of the Red Fort is completed.
- Semyon Dezhnev discovers the Bering Strait between Asia and North America.
- The west bank of Prague (including the Prague Castle) is occupied and looted by Swedish armies.
- Sabbatai Zevi declares himself the Messiah at Smyrna.
- A major earthquake strikes Van, a town in Ottoman Armenia.
- French intervention ends.
- The Fronde begins.