1640 1641 1642 - 1643 - 1644 1645 1646
1610s 1620s 1630s - 1640s - 1650s 1660s 1670s
Events of 1643
- January 21 – Abel Tasman discovers the island of Tonga.
- February 6 – Abel Tasman discovers the Fiji islands.
- March 13 – First English Civil War – First Battle of Middlewich: The Roundheads rout the Cavaliers at Middlewich in Cheshire, England.
- May 14 – Louis XIV (of France) succeeds Louis XIII.
- May 19 – Battle of Rocroi: The French defeat the Spanish at Rocroi, France.
- June 30 – First English Civil War – Battle of Adwalton Moor: Cavaliers (supporters of Charles I) gain control of Yorkshire.
- July 5 – First English Civil War – Battle of Lansdowne: Royalists and Parliamentarians battle to a draw.
- July 13 – First English Civil War – Battle of Roundway Down: In England, Lord Henry Wilmot, Earl of Rochester, commanding the Royalist forces, wins a crushing victory over the Parliamentarian Sir William Waller.
- September 20 – First English Civil War – First Battle of Newbury: Royalists withdraw to end further bloodshed.
- September 21 Huang Taiji dies.
- October 28 – The Dutch corsairs end their occupation of Valdivia in what is now Chile.
- November 14 – Empress Meishō abdicates and Emperor Go-Kōmyō accedes to the throne of Japan.
- November 24 – Battle of Tuttlingen: France is defeated by forces of the Holy Roman Empire.
- An Calbhach mac Aodha O Conchobhair Donn is inaugurated as the last king of Connacht.
- Evangelista Torricelli invents the mercury barometer.
- The New England Confederation is formed.
- Baden-Baden is pillaged by the French.
- Jean Bolland publishes the first two volumes of the Acta Sanctorum (in Antwerp). This is the beginning of the Bollandists' work.
- Paul Chomedey de Maisonneuve places the first cross atop Mount Royal.
- Åmål is granted its city charter.
- Miyamoto Musashi dictates The Book of Five Rings (Go Rin No Sho) to his student, completing it in 1654 just before his death.
- Claudio Monteverdi's opera l'Incoronazione di Poppea is first performed.
- Hong Taiji, Emperor of the Qing Dynasty of the Manchu dies and is succeeded by his 5-year-old son, the later Shunzhi Emperor of China.
- Roger Williams, a co-founder of Rhode Island, publishes A Key into the Language of America.