1628 1629 1630 - 1631 - 1632 1633 1634
1600s 1610s 1620s - 1630s - 1640s 1650s 1660s
Events of 1631
- February 5 – Roger Williams emigrates to Boston.
- February 16 – Gustav Adolf Secondary School is founded in Tallinn, Estonia by Swedish king Gustav II Adolf.
- May 10 – Thirty Years' War: Imperial troops storm the German city of Magdeburg and massacre 20,000 inhabitants.
- May 18 – In Dorchester, Massachusetts, John Winthrop takes the oath of office and becomes the first Governor of Massachusetts.
- May 30 – La Gazette, the first French newspaper, was founded.
- June 20 – Algerian pirates sack Baltimore, County Cork in Ireland.
- September 17 – Thirty Years' War: Battle of Breitenfield (1631) – King Gustav II Adolf of Sweden defeats the Catholic League and the Holy Roman Empire, ensuring religious liberty for the Protestant states of Germany.
- October 10 – Thirty Years' War: A Saxon army takes over Prague.