1605 1606 1607 - 1608 - 1609 1610 1611
1570s 1580s 1590s - 1600s - 1610s 1620s 1630s
Events of 1608
- January 7 – Fire destroys "all the houses in the fort" at Jamestown, Virginia; the fort is repaired in March.
- January 17 – Emperor Susenyos of Ethiopia defeats an Oromo army at Ebenat; 12,000 Oromo are reportedly killed at a cost of 400 Amhara.
- March 18 – Susenyos is formally crowned Emperor of Ethiopia at the ancient city of Axum.
- April 10 – Jamestown: Christopher Newport again sails for England.
- May 14 – The Protestant Union is founded in Auhausen.
- July 3 – Quebec City is founded by Samuel de Champlain.
- July – The English ship Mary and Margaret, captained by Christopher Newport, leaves England bound for Jamestown, Virginia.
- August 24 – The first official English representative to India lands at Surat.
- September 10 – John Smith is elected council president of Jamestown, and begins expanding the fort.
- September 21 – The University of Oviedo, Spain is founded.
- October 1 – At Jamestown, a second supply ship, the Mary and Margaret, arrives with Christopher Newport, including 70 settlers, bringing the population back up to 120; the passengers include 8 glassmen.
- October 2 – Dutch lens maker Hans Lippershey demonstrates the first telescope in the Dutch parliament.
- December – Jamestown: Christopher Newport returns to England carrying cargo with "tryals of Pitch, Tarre, Glasse, Frankincense, Sope Ashes ..."
- Swedish troops enter Moscow.
- The first cheques are used in the Netherlands.
- Old Bushmills Distillery is founded in Bushmills, County Antrim, Ireland.
- Uniform Land-Tax Law is imposed in Korea.
- Five Royal Schools in Ulster are given Royal Charter by King James I
- "first Germans at Jamestown 1" (history), Davitt Publications, 2000, webpage: GHfirst.