1603 1604 1605 - 1606 - 1607 1608 1609
1570s 1580s 1590s - 1600s - 1610s 1620s 1630s
Events of 1606
- January 27 – Gunpowder Plot: The trial of Guy Fawkes and other conspirators begins.
- January 31 – Guy Fawkes is executed for his plotting against Parliament and James I of England.
- February 26 – Dutch navigator Willem Janszoon makes the first confirmed sighting of Australia by a European.
- March 10 – Susenyos defeats the combined armies of Yaqob and Abuna Petros II at the Battle of Gol in Gojjam, which makes him Emperor of Ethiopia.
- March 19 – The Granduca of Toscana Ferdinando I, in the Fortezza Vecchia Chapel of Saint Francesco, elevates Livorno at the rank of city.
- April 10 – The First Charter of Virginia is adopted.
- April 12 – The Union Flag is adopted as the national flag of Great Britain.
- May 17 – Supporters of Vasili Shuisky invade the Kremlin and kill Premier Dmitri.
- August 14 – A Dutch fleet is defeated by a Portuguese fleet in the Battle of Cape Rachado
- November 11– Treaty of Zsitvatorok between Ottoman (Turkish) Empire and Holy Roman Empire The independence of Transylvania is recognized by both sides and Austria's annual tribute to the Ottoman Empire is abolished.
- December 26 – Shakespeare's King Lear is performed before King James I in the banqueting hall of Whitehall Palace.
- A storm buries the village of St Ismail near modern-day Kidwelly, Carmarthenshire, Wales.
- The first Union Flag is created.
- The Jesuit Joannis Stribingius visits Latvia, and describes Latvian mythology.
- The Evangelic Lyceum (Evanjelické lýceum) is founded in Bratislava.