1601 1602 1603 - 1604 - 1605 1606 1607
1570s 1580s 1590s - 1600s - 1610s 1620s 1630s
Events of 1604
- January 14 – The Hampton Court conference is held between James I of England, the Anglican bishops and representatives of the Puritans.
- September 20 – Ostend is captured by Spanish forces under Ambrogio Spinola after a 3-year siege.
- October 9 – Supernova 1604 is observed (as of this writing, the last supernova to be observed in the Milky Way).
- November 1 – At Whitehall Palace in London, the William Shakespeare tragedy Othello is presented for the first time.
- The Sikh Holy Scripture Guru Granth Sahib is compiled and edited by Guru Arjan.
- France begins settling Acadia, first successful French North American colony.
- France begins settling French Guiana.
- England concludes the Treaty of London with Spain, ending its involvement in the Eighty Years' War.
- Peter Blundell founds Blundell's School in Tiverton, England.
- Za Dengel is deposed as Emperor of Ethiopia by Za Sellase, who restores his cousin Yaqob.
- The Table Alphabeticall, the first known English dictionary to be organized by alphabetical ordering, is published.
- Before 1 October, Huntingdon Beaumont completes the Wollaton Wagonway, built to transport coal from the mines at Strelley to Wollaton just west of Nottingham, England. This is currently the world's oldest wagonway with provenance. The exact date is unknown, but a surviving account book for the year ended 30 September 1604 proves it was built within the preceding 12 months.
- The A-text of Christopher Marlowe's The Tragical History of Doctor Faustus is officially published.