1583 1584 1585 - 1586 - 1587 1588 1589
1550s 1560s 1570s - 1580s - 1590s 1600s 1610s
Events of 1586
- June 16 – Mary, Queen of Scots, recognizes Philip II of Spain as her heir.
- July 6 – The Treaty of Berwick is signed between Queen Elizabeth I of England and King James VI of Scotland.
- September 22 – Battle of Zutphen: Spanish troops defeat the Dutch rebels and their English allies.
- November 19 – Henry Barrow, English Puritan and Separatist, is imprisoned.
- December 17 – The reign of Emperor Ogimachi of Japan ends and Emperor Go-Yozei ascends to the throne of Japan.
- Voronezh, Russia was founded
- Samara, Russia was founded
- Tyumen, Russia was founded
- Toyotomi Hideyoshi becomes grand minister of Japan.
- William Harrison becomes canon of Windsor.
- Luis Barahona de Soto publishes Primera parte de la Angélica.
- William Camden publishes Britannia.
- Simon Stevin, a Dutch mathematician, demonstrates that two objects of different weight fall with the same speed.
- St. Augustine, Florida, and Santo Domingo in the modern day Dominican Republic are plundered and burned by English sea captain Sir Francis Drake.
- Jacobus Gallus composes his motet O magnum mysterium.
- Caesar Baronius publishes a new edition of Roman martyrology.
- The first HMS Vanguard is launched in England.
- English explorer Thomas Cavendish begins his circumnavigation of the globe.