1560 1561 1562 - 1563 - 1564 1565 1566
1530s 1540s 1550s - 1560s - 1570s 1580s 1590s
Events of 1563
- February 1 – Sarsa Dengel succeeds his father Menas as Emperor of Ethiopia.
- February 18 – Francis, Duke of Guise is assassinated while besieging Orléans.
- March – Peace of Amboise: Negotiated between the Prince of Condé and Anne de Montmorency, it accords some toleration to the Huguenots, especially to aristocrats. The combined Huguenot and royal armies then march north to besiege the English in Le Havre.
- July 28 – The English surrender Le Havre to the French after a siege.
- July 31 – The outbreak of the Northern Seven Years' War
- December 4 – The Council of Trent (opened December 13, 1545) officially closes. It reaffirms all major Roman Catholic doctrines, and declares the Apocrypha to be canonical, along with the rest of the Bible.
- The official Roman Catholic decree "Tametsi" stipulates that for a marriage to be valid, consent (the essence of marriage) as expressed in the vows has to be given publicly before witnesses, one of whom has to be the parish priest.