- May — The Norman leader Robert Guiscard conquers Taranto.
- October — The Byzantine army defeats the Normans and enters Taranto.
- The compilation of the New Book of Tang is completed under a team of scholars led by Ouyang Xiu.
- Chinese poet, calligrapher, and official Cai Xiang publishes his Cha Lu (Record of Tea).
- Spanish Jew Benjamin of Tudela reports that Constantinople has merchant communities from Babylon, Canaan, Egypt, Hungary, Persia, Russia, Sennar, and Spain as well as 2,000 Jews (approximate date).
- Philip I of France begins his reign.