West Berlin

From Metapedia

Jump to: navigation, search
Berlin (West) / Westberlin
West Berlin
Allied-occupied sectors of Berlin

1949–1990
 

Flag of West Berlin<p> Flag

Location of West Berlin
The four occupation sectors of Berlin. West Berlin is in light blue, dark blue and purple. Borough borders as of 1987.
Historical era Cold War
 - Established 1949
 - Reunification 3 October 1990
History of Berlin
Coat of arms of Berlin
This article is part of a series
Weimar Republic (1919–33)
1920s Berlin
Greater Berlin Act
Nazi Germany (1933–45)
Welthauptstadt Germania
Bombing of Berlin in World War II
Battle of Berlin
Divided city (1945–90)
East Berlin
West Berlin
Berlin Wall
 
Berlin Blockade (1948–49)
Berlin Crisis of 1961
"Ich bin ein Berliner" (1963)
"Tear Down This Wall" (1987)
 
See also:
History of Germany
Margraviate of Brandenburg

   v • d • e 

West Berlin was the name given to the western part of Berlin between 1949 and 1990. It consisted of the American, British, and French occupation sectors established in 1945. It was in many ways integrated with, although legally not a part of, West Germany. The Soviet sector became East Berlin, which East Germany claimed as its capital, though the Western Allies did not recognise this claim, as they asserted that the whole city was legally under four-power occupation. The building of the Berlin Wall in 1961 sealed the border to West Berlin, which since the end of the Second World War had been surrounded by communist East Berlin and East Germany.

With around two million inhabitants, West Berlin was the most populated city of Cold War-era Germany, although it did not officially belong to either of the two German states.

See also

Part of this article consists of modified text from Wikipedia, and the article is therefore licensed under GFDL.

Personal tools
In other languages