- 1297 - Battle of Stirling Bridge: Scots led by William Wallace defeat the English.
- 1922 - The British Mandate of Palestine begins.
- 1926 - An assassination attempt on Benito Mussolini fails.
- 1941 - Ground broken for the construction of The Pentagon.
- 1941 - Charles Lindbergh's Des Moines, Iowa speech accusing the British, Jews and FDR's administration of pressing for war with Germany.
- 1960 - Young Americans for Freedom meeting at home of William F. Buckley, Jr. promulgates the Sharon Statement.
- 1973 - A CIA backed coup in Chile headed by General Augusto Pinochet topples President Salvador Allende.
- 1978 - U.S. President Jimmy Carter, President Sadat of Egypt, and Prime Minister Begin of Israel met at Camp David and agreed on a framework for peace between Israel and Egypt and a comprehensive peace in the Middle East.
- 1989 - The iron curtain opens between the communist Hungary and Austria. From Hungary thousands of East Germans throng to Austria and West Germany.
- 2001 - Coordinated attacks result in the collapse of the Twin Towers in New York City, destruction of the western portion of The Pentagon in Arlington, Virginia, and a hijacked passenger airliner goes down in Shanksville, Pennsylvania. In total, 2,974 people are killed in the September 11, 2001 attacks.