- 1840 - The Province of Canada is created by the Act of Union.
- 1952 - Establishment of the European Coal and Steel community.
- 1952 - A military coup d'état in Egypt overthrows King Farouk I
- 1962 - Telstar relays the first live trans-Atlantic television signal.
- 1967 - 12th Street Riot: In Detroit, Michigan, Blacks start one of the worst riots in United States history (43 killed, 342 injured and ~1,400 buildings burned).
- 1968 - Glenville Shootout: In Cleveland, Ohio, a violent shootout between a Black Militant organization led by Ahmed Evans and the Cleveland Police Department occurred. During the shootout, a riot began that lasted for five days.
- 1968 - The first and only successful hijacking of an El Al aircraft took place when a 707 carrying 10 crew and 38 passengers was taken over by three members of the Popular Front for the Liberation of Palestine (PFLP). The aircraft was en route from Rome, Italy, to Lod, Israel.
- 1983 - Beginning of Sri Lankan Civil War, with the killing of 13 Sri Lanka Army soldiers by the Liberation Tigers of Tamil Eelam.
- 1995 - Comet Hale-Bopp is discovered and is visibly seen with a naked eye nearly a year later.