- 1129 - Formal approval of the Order of the Knights Templar at the Council of Troyes.
- 1301 - Andrew III of Hungary dies, ending the Arpad dynasty in Hungary.
- 1501 - Martin Luther, 17, enters the University of Erfurt.
- 1514 - Pope Leo X issues a papal bull against slavery.
- 1539 - Spain annexes Cuba.
- 1639 - The "Fundamental Orders", the first written constitution that created a government, is adopted in Connecticut.
- 1724 - King Philip V of Spain abdicates the throne.
- 1761 - The Third Battle of Panipat was fought in India between the Afghans under Ahmad Shah Durrani and the Marhatas. The Afghan victory changed the course of Indian History.
- 1940 - Eighteen members of the Christian Front are arrested in New York for attempting the overthrow the US government.
- 2004 - The national flag of Georgia, the so-called "five cross flag", was restored to official use after a hiatus of some 500 years.