- 1847 - Mexican-American War: The Battle of Buena Vista - 5,000 American troops drive off 15,000 Mexican.
- 1862 - Jefferson Davis is officially inaugurated for a six-year term as the President of the Confederate States of America in Richmond, Virginia. He was previously inaugurated as a provisional president on February 18, 1861.
- 1889 - President Grover Cleveland signs a bill admitting North Dakota, South Dakota, Montana and Washington as U.S. states.
- 1915 - World War I: Germany institutes unrestricted submarine warfare.
- 1922 – The British unilaterally declare the independence of Egypt.
- 1934 - The Parti National Social Chrétien (National Socialist Christian Party) was founded in Montreal, Quebec under the leadership of Adrien Arcand.
- 1944 – World War II: American aircraft mistakenly bomb the Dutch towns of Nijmegen, Arnhem, Enschede and Deventer, resulting in 800 dead in Nijmegen alone.
- 1948 - Communist coup in Czechoslovakia.
- 1958 - Egypt and Syria join to form the United Arab Republic.
- 1974 - The National Alliance was incorporated by Dr. William Pierce
- 1979 – Independence of Saint Lucia from the United Kingdom.
- 1994 - Aldrich Ames and his wife are charged by the United States Department of Justice with spying for the Soviet Union.