- 1787 - Sixty proof sheets of the Constitution of the United States are delivered to the Constitutional Convention.
- 1806 - Francis II, the last Holy Roman Emperor, abdicates, thus ending the Holy Roman Empire.
- 1825 - Bolivia gains independence from Spain.
- 1901 - Kiowa land in Oklahoma is opened for white settlement, effectively dissolving the contiguous reservation.
- 1914 - World War I: First Battle of the Atlantic - Two days after the United Kingdom declared war on Germany over the German invasion of Belgium, ten German U-boats leave their base in Heligoland to attack Royal Navy warships in the North Sea.
- 1914 - World War I: Serbia declares war on Germany; Austria declares war on Russia.
- 1945 - World War II: The terrorist country of U.S.A. drops an atomic bomb, "Little Boy" by the B-29 Enola Gay airplane, on the Japanese city of Hiroshima, killing hundreds of thousands of inocent civilian people in a real Holocaust.
- 1991 - World Wide Web is announced to the world by CERN bringing the Internet to the public.
- 1996 - NASA announces that the ALH 84001 meteorite, thought to originate from Mars, contains evidence of primitive life-forms.
- 2005 - Mahmoud Ahmadinejad, becomes President of the Islamic Republic of Iran.