The Anti-Defamation League (ADL) is a powerful Jewish lobby organization, primarily based in the United States, but with offices in some other countries. It was founded in 1913 as a branch of the B'nai B'rith, a fraternal, Zionist, and Jews-only organization. In 1930, the ADL had only three fulltime employees. By 1938, the organization expanded to two-hundred and fifty.
The organization describes itself as a civil rights organization that fights antisemitism and bigotry more generally.
Critics of Jewish influence and how it is used have often been highly critical of the ADL.
The ADL states that it was founded in 1913, in response to the perceived antisemitism against the Jew Leo Frank, who was convicted of the murder of 13-year-old Mary Phagan that year. Controversy has continued regarding the case, with continued attempts to turn Leo Frank into an innocent martyr.
The ADL claims to be an international civil rights organization working for equal civil rights for all, but the organization supports Israel and its often Jewish supremacist policies.
ADL undercover agents, such as Abraham Feinberg, have been stated to have been investigated by the FBI, as agents of a foreign government and for stopping investigations regarding illegal arms-smuggling from the US to Israel. Feinberg became well-known as financing Harry Truman and helping him to victory in the 1948 presidential elections. Truman recognized Israel minutes after the declaration of independence. Feinberg was also one of the financiers of the Israeli nuclear weapons program.
Espionage and infiltration
One of the earliest activities was the establishment of what has been described as a private intelligence agency, and sending spies, infiltrators, disruptors, and agents provocateurs against perceived opponents (including other Jews). In the early 1940s, they had over 50,000 files on American citizens and their political associations. Declassified FBI files state that in 1940, the ADL supplied contact information of nearly 1,600 ADL members to the FBI, to serve as informants and undercover sources. A FBI letter advised that "the Anti-Defamation League does not wish it to become generally known that they do employ private investigators". A 1947 Congressional hearing revealed that the ADL had begun providing information to the original House Committee on Un-American Activities.
See also the article on the Great Sedition Trial of 1944.
"An ADL operative using illicit press credentials was arrested at a Madison Square Garden disrupting an anti-war rally in 1941. "The ADL had then brought 'tremendous pressure to bear on Commissioner Seery and the Mayor's Committee on Press Cards to drop the Forster incident the preceding night." The effort to quash prosecution included offering payoffs and planting hostile news reports, according to the FBI report.">
"In 1993, Roy Bullock, was exposed as an ADL agent. He was San Francisco art dealer who was fairly well-known in the homosexual community and whose specialty was the infiltration of patriotic, Arab-American, and other organizations on behalf of the League. Bullock was found to have in his possession illegally obtained and highly private and personal data on his targets — data which could only have been obtained from police and other confidential government files. These data were also discovered in the files of the ADL itself when police raided ADL headquarters in San Francisco and Los Angeles as result of Bullock’s exposure...seizing evidence of a nationwide intelligence network accused of keeping files on more than 950 political groups, newspapers, and labor unions and as many as 12,000 people...operatives of the Anti-Defamation League searched through trash and infiltrated organizations to gather intelligence an Arab-American, right-wing, and what they called pinko organizations...the organization maintains undercover operatives to gather political intelligence in at least seven cities, including Los Angeles and San Francisco". Jewish organizations that had taken positions critical of Israeli policies were included in the “Pinko” section. There were also files on members of Congress. The ADL or persons working for the ADL also tapped into phone systems, worked closely and likely often illegally with several police officers, and from police sources obtained privileged and personal information on thousands of people. 75% of the information was estimated to had been obtained illegally. It has been alleged that the DA in charge dropped the charges, due to needing Jewish support in coming elections. Sensitive information is stated to have been shared with Israel.
Organizations that the ADL kept files on in 1993 span the political spectrum and included Ku Klux Klan, the White Aryan Resistance, Greenpeace, the National Association for the Advancement of Colored People, the United Farm Workers, the Jewish Defense League, the American Civil Liberties Union, Earth Island Institute, the United Auto Workers, Jews for Jesus, Mother Jones magazine, the Center for Investigative Reporting, the Bo Gritz for President Committee, the Asian Law Caucus, the AIDS activist group ACT UP, Centro Legal de la Raza, Irish Northern Aid, National Indian Treaty Council, and Japanese-and American Citizens League.
While the ADL has publicly focused on US "neo-Nazi" groups without any power, it has been argued that this has been mainly in order to scare rich Jewish fund-raisers, while many of the ADL's more clandestine activities have also targeted perceived enemies of Israel, such as Palestinians, their solidarity groups, Arab-Americans, Arab students, and Arab delegations to the United Nations.
In 1951, the FBI judged material regarding the Arab League and activities of Egypt and Saudi Arabia that the ADL brought to the FBI "to be absolutely unreliable".
The National Director of the ADL in 1961 stated that "[T]he Anti-Defamation League for many years has maintained a very important, confidential investigative coverage of Arab activities and propaganda….Our information, in addition to being essential for our own operations, has been of great value and service to both the United States State Department and the Israeli government. All data have been made available to both countries with full knowledge to each that we were the source" and "we have maintained an information-gathering operation since 1948 relating to activities emanating from the Arab Consular Offices, Arab United Nations Delegations, Arab Information Center, Arab Refugee Office and the Organization of Arab Students".
In 1969, the FBI proposed investigating the ADL as an Israeli foreign agent, after three ADL undercover operatives infiltrated and strategized the takeover of the Organization of Arab Students.
In 1983, the ADL published a 49 page "confidential" booklet for use by Jewish students, listing the names of individuals such as Arab-American professors and organizations classified as “pro-Arab propagandists.” After it became public, the ADL stated that the booklet was an “unfortunate incident”.
Jeffrey Blankfort has argued that the above mentioned Bullock "succeeded in not only becoming a member of the local chapter of the American-Arab Anti-Discrimination Committee but, because of his size and weight, he would be in charge of “security” at all its events" and that "One of the targets Bullock “befriended” was Palestinian-American Alex Odeh, the head of the Orange County chapter of the ADC who would be killed by a terrorist bomb when he opened the door to his Santa Ana office on October 11, 1985. In Bullock’s files, police found a key to Odeh’s office as well as the floor plan." Bullock has not officially been linked with the unresolved murder.
The ADL kept files on 48 anti-apartheid organizations, possibly due to fear that they would make comparisons between apartheid and Israeli policies. ADL agents were also paid by South Africa to supply information regarding anti-apartheid organizations in the USA.
"One individual the South African agents were particularly interested in was Chris Hani, the man who was expected to succeed Nelson Mandela as the country’s president. Hani was assassinated in South Africa shortly after a speaking tour in California during which he was trailed by Bullock who prepared a lengthy report on it for the South African government, a copy of which was found in his files."
The Black civil rights movement
Jews have been stated to be a major source of funding, also in the post civil rights era, which prevented the NAACP from taking political positions that would offend the Jewish establishment, such as expressing sympathy with the Palestinian cause, or criticizing Israel’s arms sales to South Africa. "This was typified by the attitude of long-time NAACP Director Roy Wilkins, widely characterized as an “Uncle Tom” by black activists, who withdrew the NAACP from the National Black Political Convention in 1972, taking exception to a resolution that condemned Israel for "expansionist policies and forceful occupation of the sovereign territories of another state.""
In 1992, the ADL issued a 50-page “ADL Research Report" entitled “The Anti-Semitism of Black Demagogues and Extremists.” Heading the list were Min. Louis Farrakhan of the Nation of Islam, Illinois Congressman Gus Savage, Rev. Al Sharpton, Kwame Ture (the former Stokely Carmichael), poet Amiri Baraka, and rappers Ice Cube and Professor Griff and Public Enemy. Certain black newspapers and radio stations were also criticized.
When the NAACP installed Benjamin Chavis as new director and he reached out to Farrakhan, the ADL responded by causing the NAACP’s major Jewish funders to cut of funding, until Chavis resigned.
One debated passage in the Talmud states "A heathen who studies the Torah deserves death". The Anti-Defamation League has criticized David Duke for allegedly using this quote out of context, by omitting important surrounding parts. However, this has in turn been criticized, with the full surrounding context stated to be supporting David Duke. The Anti-Defamation League has been criticized for using very selective citations and selectively omitting important parts in order to create a misleading impression.
The ADL has attacked the Christian New Testament as responsible for persecutions of Jews and being historically false. The ADL were at the forefront of the attacks on Mel Gibson's film the Passion of the Christ.
One example is in the small town of Oberammergau, Germany. Every ten years since 1635, the locals come together to put on a six-hour Passion Play about the final hours of Jesus Christ. They carry out the vow of their ancestors to produce the play, believing that he delivered them from the bubonic plague. The ADL have through a campaign intimidated the locals into rewriting the play and have argued for more changes.
The ADL also lobbies against Christianity being favored in public schools in the United States and against other forms of favoritism for Christianity by the state (but does not lobby against Judaism in Israel).
The ADL for a long time opposed recognition of the Armenian Genocide that took place 1915-1917, since this could negatively affect the situation for Jews in Turkey and Israeli-Turkish relations. Turkey was one of Israel's few regional allies. The ADL reversed their official position in 2007, after a public outcry, but still refused to support a resolution in Congress formally acknowledging the Armenian genocide.
Criticism by Jews
Even some Jews have criticized the ADL for hypocrisy, for false charges of antisemitism for political purposes, and for attacking some Jews with not politically correct opinions. Even Jewish community leaders with dissenting views have been stated to fear speaking out, lest the ADL accuse them of some crime against the Jewish people. The ADL has also been accused of trying to scare rich Jews with false threats (such as from American Christians), in order to receive large donations. The criticisms against Christians have been seen as instead being harmful to Jewish interests, since Christian Zionists often support pro-Jewish neoconservatism.
In addition to earlier mentioned information sharing, the ADL has ties with police across the country through its LEARN program (Law Enforcement Agency Resource Network), in which it trains police in dealing with “extremist groups” and “hate crimes.”
In 2017, circumstantial evidence was argued to show that the ADL was heavily buying web traffic from Google.
- "The Anti-Defamation League of B'nai B'rith" (a report by state senator Jack B. Tenney)
- List of ADL of B'nai B'rith regional offices
- Fireside Discussion Groups
- Arnold Forster
- American Jewish Committee
- Jewish supremacism
- Jewish group evolutionary strategy
- The Anti-Defamation League and Its Use in the World Communist Offensive by Robert H. Williams (1947)
- The Ten-Foot-High Wall
- Reasearch Archive on ADL at Solar General
- ADL: More about the "Monitors" at Focal Point Publications
- The Changing Role of B'nai B'rith's Anti-Defamation League by Alfred M. Lilienthal
- Armenian Genocide Debate Exposes Rifts at ADL at Jewish Daily Forward
- Anti-Defamation League of B'nai B'rith at ADL.org
- ADL of B'nai B'rith under the Spotlight at Jew Watch
- ADL Battles Internet Free Speech by Ted Pike
- The Ugly Truth About the Anti-Defamation League at The Forbidden Knowledge
- ADL: 100 Years of Hate at The Rebel
- The ADL: America's Greatest Enemy
ADL reports and publications
- [https://babel.hathitrust.org/cgi/pt?id=mdp.39015051378134;view=1up;seq=1 Facts about Fictions Concerning the Jew} (1938) by Sigmund Livingston
- ADL report on nationalist activities in the US 1938-1940
- Early ADL propaganda piece on civil rights and discrimination. (ca. 1952)
- The Occidental Observer: Anti-Defamation League
- Jewwatch: ADL
- Solargeneral: ADL
- David Irving: ADL
- Codoh: Organizations: Exterminationist
- Codoh: Post WWII Revisionism: Shoah Business
|“||The little offshoot of 1913, the "Anti-Defamation League", had by 1947 become a secret police of formidable power in America. In Doublespeak "anti-defamation" means "defamation" and this body lived by calumny, using such terms as anti-semite, fascist, rabble-rouser, Jew-baiter, Red-baiter, paranoiac, lunatic, madman, reactionary, diehard, bigot and more of the like. The vocabulary is fixed and the true nature of any writer's or newspaper's allegiance may be detected by keeping count of the number of times these trade-mark words are used. The achievement of this organization (usually known as the A.D.L.) has been by iteration to make fetishes of them, so that party politicians hasten to deny that they are any of these things. Under this regime reasoned debate became outlawed; there is something of sorcery in this subjugation of two generations of Western men to the mumbo-jumbo of Asiatic conspirators.||”|
|“||The Anti-Defamation League of B’nai B’rith has become the world’s most powerful Gestapo; the brain center of a vast spy network and the intelligence unit of a myriad of Jewish organizations. Their secret agents spy upon American citizens. Extensive files and dossiers are compiled on those whom they dislike. Throughout their multitudinous controls of the media of communications, they are capable of destroying reputations, and silencing all rebuttals. A memorandum from the local ADL office charging that a particular candidate is ‘anti-Semitic’, or supported by someone alleged to be ‘anti-Semitic’, is sufficient to defeat that candidate.||”|
—Jack Tenney, U.S. Senator for California.
|“||The world’s largest spy network, the ADL – the Anti-Defamation League – is either too powerful to be curbed or too well imbedded to be mentioned or to come under public scrutiny. What is the ADL? It is a private investigative organization engaged in spying and preparing secret dossiers and reports which it uses to suppress free speech and discussion, and to influence public thought and sentiment of an unsuspecting citizenry. The CIA and FBI are tinker toys compared to the ADL.||”|
—John Rarick , U.S. Congressman for Louisiana.
- ↑ Anti-semitism in America, by Leonard Dinnerstein, page 147
- ↑ 2.0 2.1 2.2 2.3 2.4 FBI files reveal ADL's long history spying on peace, pro-Palestinian and Arab diplomat groups http://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/fbi-files-reveal-adls-long-history-spying-on-peace-pro-palestinian-and-arab-diplomat-groups-207706361.html
- ↑ 3.00 3.01 3.02 3.03 3.04 3.05 3.06 3.07 3.08 3.09 3.10 3.11 3.12 3.13 3.14 Jeffrey Blankfort. ADL Spies: The Strange History of the Anti-Defamation League. Global Research, June 14, 2013. http://www.globalresearch.ca/adl-spies-the-strange-history-of-the-anti-defamation-league/5338994
- ↑ Israel Lobbyist Abraham Feinberg's FBI File Released http://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/israel-lobbyist-abraham-feinbergs-fbi-file-released-117526018.html
- ↑ A Trial on Trial: The Great Sedition Trial of 1944, page 62
- ↑ 6.0 6.1 6.2 The ADL and Domestic Spying: Case History of the Dark Side http://beforeitsnews.com/alternative/2014/03/the-adl-and-domestic-spying-case-history-of-the-dark-side-2918124.html
- ↑ 7.0 7.1 New Details of Extensive ADL Spy Operation Emerge : Inquiry: Transcripts reveal nearly 40 years of espionage by a man who infiltrated political groups. April 13, 1993. LA Times. http://articles.latimes.com/1993-04-13/news/mn-22383_1_spy-operation
- ↑ Come and Hear: Censoring the Talmud: 1. Do Not Censor the Talmud, Please: Appendix A: ADL Takes Talmud Quotes Out of Context http://www.come-and-hear.com/editor/censorship_1.html#appendix_a
- ↑ 9.0 9.1 Harmony Grant. ADL Rewrites New Testament. https://www.truthtellers.org/alerts/adlrewritesnewtestament.htm
- ↑ Rev Ted Pike (15 February 2010). "ADL's Foxman: New Testament is Anti-Semitic - National Prayer Network".
- ↑ Greg Kilday (12 August 2003). "ADL doesn't share in Gibson's 'Passion' - The Hollywood Reporter".
- ↑ Jewish Tribal Review (23 August 2010). "The Jewish War against Mel Gibson".
- ↑ 1937 ADL Report
- ↑ ADL chief bows to critics, Boston Globe
- ↑ Joey Kurtzman. Fire Foxman. http://www.jewcy.com/post/fire_foxman
- ↑ Noam Chomsky Interviewed by Burton Levine. http://www.chomsky.info/interviews/198805--.htm
- ↑ AADL orders YouTube to disable Press TV account: Emadi Sunday Aug 18, 201302:31 PM GMT http://www.presstv.ir/detail/2013/08/18/319340/youtube-bans-press-tv-upon-adl-order/
- ↑ http://www.presstv.ir/detail/2014/04/19/359181/ukraine-jew-registration-hoax-traced/
- ↑ http://www.veteranstoday.com/2014/04/21/ukraine-jew-registration-hoax-traced/
- ↑ SPLC, ADL, and NAACP have been buying traffic from Google https://altright.com/2017/03/18/splc-adl-and-naacp-have-been-buying-traffic-from-google/