(Redirected from 1 March
- 1562 - Over 1,000 Huguenots are massacred by Catholics in Wassy, France, marking the start of the French Wars of Religion.
- 1781 - The Continental Congress adopts the Articles of Confederation.
- 1815 - Napoleon returns to France from his banishment on Elba.
- 1845 - President John Tyler signs a bill authorizing the United States to annex the Republic of Texas.
- 1931 - Oswald Mosley establishes the New Party in Britain.
- 1932 - The son of Charles Lindbergh, Charles Augustus Lindbergh III, is kidnapped.
- 1940 - A mass rally is held in, Brooklyn, New York in defense of seventeen youth members of the Christian Front, indicted for allegedly plotting to overthrow the US government.
- 1941 - World War II: Bulgaria signs the Tripartite Pact, allying itself with the Axis powers.
- 1947 - The International Monetary Fund begins financial operations.
- 1953 - Joseph Stalin suffers a stroke and collapses. He dies four days later.
- 1954 - Puerto Rican nationalists attack the United States Capitol building, injuring five Representatives.
- 1966 - The Ba'ath Party takes power in Syria.
- 1971 - A bomb explodes in a men's room in the United States Capitol: the Weather Underground claims responsibility.
- 2003 - Khalid Sheikh Mohammed (KSM) is arrested in Pakistan.